“From Prefab Dome Home Kit to Home Sweet Dome”
Prefab Dome Home Kits for Sale or Rent by Pacific Domes Inc.
Prefab Dome Home Features
If you’ve been looking beyond conventional housing at alternative shelters, you’re guaranteed to find common-sense reasons why ecoliving dome homes offer the competitive edge. In our second installment on prefab Dome Homes, we’ve highlighted some of those reasons along with some features and options that are available.
Safe Shelter from Nature’s Extremes
When faced with nature’s extremes, geodesic domes has proven time and again to be the strongest shelter known to man. Designed by Buckminster Fuller to be nature’s perfect structure, a dome’s geodesic-engineered strength provides safe shelter from high winds, heavy snows – and, yes, earthquakes!
Dome shelters are naturally more energy efficient due to unobstructed circulation of ambient heating and cooling. Studies have revealed that domes offer at least 30% more heating and cooling efficiency when compared to standard housing.
Customizable Prefab Dome Home kits come in comfortable shelter sizes ranging from 16-ft. to 44-ft. –and, can be special-ordered in sizes up to 120-ft! A Basic Prefab Dome Kit includes a frame, cover with bay window, round windows, weather-tight zipper door or pre-hung door opening, zippered base roll-up flaps for ventilation, steel anchor plates; and, a dome care manual with deck plans and assembly instructions. Frames may be purchased separately, as well.
Other Customizable Options
- Hoop Doors make nice entrances and are available upon request.
- Prehung Door openings allow for either a single or double door.
- Awnings can be custom designed to suit your specific needs.
- Tunnels between multiple domes are useful in certain environments.
The standard galvanized steel frame with hardware is adequate for normal conditions. In areas where nature’s extremes are a factor, your local building department may require heavier steel tubing. A noteworthy aside, geodesic-engineered domes have been used in artic regions and ski resorts where they have been buried in deep snow.
Covers are made of water-resistant, mildew-resistant, flame-retardant fabrics, which provide lasting shelter in extreme climates from arid, wind-swept deserts to rainforests; from tropical beaches to subfreezing snow-laden mountains.
Covers with distinct qualities are recommended for the following climates:
- Sunlite is ideal for humid climates, and the smooth vinyl-coated, polyester fabric is easy to clean. It has a life expectancy of up to 12 years and longer with proper care.
- Sunshield has extra UV protection to extend life expectancy up to 20 years and longer.
- Thinsulate™ is a light-weight insulative material with mold and mildew resistant properties. It has fire-retardant properties, as well. The natural white fabric is sewn to an outer shell of durable and long-lasting polyester.
Thermoshield is a non-toxic elastomeric paint containing ceramic microspheres that can be painted either, inside or outside. It adheres well to all covers. Thermoshield is often used in colder climates, slicing utility costs up to 40%. Some clients have been known to replace the liner with Thermoshield inside of the dome.
About Dome Insulation Liners
Liners are flame retardant and resistant to mold and mildew, providing insulation from the elements, both heat and cold. Windows are velcroed-in to match covers.
Two more insulation options:
- A liner with Reflectix®, which can be purchased ‘roof only’ or ‘complete’.
- EcoWool has mold and mildew resistant properties; as well as, fire retardants. It is made of 100% organic felted wool and comes in natural white. Sewn to an outer shell of durable polyester, this cover can be painted with Thermoshield.
Simple Interior Amenities
Dome Windows, Bay Windows, Screens & Skylights
Sunlit by day and starlit by night, the dome’s open design creates a naturally luminous environment. From the dry desert heat to the cool snow-capped mountains, the well-designed removable windows capture a kinship with nature. The round windows, bay window, roof, door, and sidewall can be easily replaced with screens.
- Round Windows – Removable round windows are made from durable clear marine vinyl. Windows are included with every dome and interchangeable screens can be purchased.
- Bay Window – Opening a gigantic view to the beauty of nature, each dome is manufactured with an elegant and extremely durable bay window. The zippered picture window is made from clear marine vinyl, allowing natural lighting to illuminate the dome.
- Skylight – People love to stargaze as they drift off to sleep at night. An optional skylight, allows additional daylight into the dome and moonlight at night. Made of UV resistant clear vinyl, the skylight zips in, replacing the roof in any size dome.
- Screens – Each round window can be removed and replaced with screens to permit fresh air. The base of the dome rolls up for cross-ventilation and the roof can, also, be unzipped for just the right amount of air flow.
Dome Ventilation, Heating & Cooling
Domes are designed with ventilation in mind and your dome stays cool with window screens, base screens and a zippered roof screen. If your climate doesn’t allow for screens due to excessive rain fall, installing a solar fan will assist with ventilation.
Powered by the sun, a solar fan is an eco-friendly solution to regulate ventilation, temperature and humidity. As heat rises, a solar fan aids in removing hot air thru the dome’s rooftop. A solar fan can be purchased separately. During hot summer months, air-conditioning units may be mounted, as well.
Any modern heating method will work in a dome. Radiant heat, solar, electric and gas are all compatible with domes. That said, the most commonly used method of heating is a wood stove.
Each dome comes with an optional stove vent flashing and cap for wood stove installation. Comfortable temperatures can be maintained inside the dome while snow storms flurry outside.
- Wood Stove Heat Source
The interior of a dome wouldn’t be complete without accessories that are unique to a nature-inspired ecoliving lifestyle.
- Floating Bed – nestled in a soft memory foam mattress, it feels like floating on a cloud! Its unique 360° pendulum motion creates a super relaxed state. Beds have a UV weather resistant stainless steel collapsible frame. The suspended bed is safe and stable.
- Air Chair – the air chair makes a great swing for leisurely enjoyment and comes in several bright colors! Suspended from any dome hub, it is available in either children’s or adult sizes and supports up to 350 lbs.
- Eco Toilets – Sun Mar composting toilets are the ideal solution for cottages, cabins, camps or rural residences. There are toilets to accommodate every situation and are easy to install.
Explore Pacific Domes Self-help Knowledge Base
We’re here to help! For Information on Geodesic Dome Building Systems from Pacific Domes visit with our friendly Customer Support. We are happy to answer your questions and assist you with your dome design and purchase.