Prefab Ecoliving Dome Homes by Pacific Domes, Inc.
Non-traditional prefab dwellings offer a unique eco housing alternative to more traditional structures. Pitched towards environmental stewardship, portable ecoliving dome home kits are finding a niche with digital nomads and remote work-from-home backyard studios – and, let’s not forget to mention the freedom-loving lifestyle of some millennials, baby-boomers, and everyone in between who loves living close to nature.
Dome-style eco homes have been built all around the world. Structurally, geodesic-engineering has been called the most energy-efficient shelter known to man. We invite you to read on to learn why…
A Closer Look at an Energy-Efficient Eco Home Dome Kit
Did you know that dome studies have established that a dome’s interior has a 30% increase in heating and cooling efficiency when compared to traditional structures of the same size? Why is this? The dome diagram (below) shows how a dome’s curved exterior surface forces air and wind up, over, and around the structure.
- With the help of return air ducts, a natural airflow occurs Inside a dome’s concave interior allowing hot or cool air to flow optimally throughout the dome. Specifically, air and energy circulate unobstructed.
- Extreme wind turbulence is lessened because winds contributing to heat loss flow evenly around the dome. It acts like a giant downward reflector that concentrates interior heat, preventing radiant heat loss.
- Decreased surface area requires less building materials. Exposure to cold in winter and heat in summer is reduced, due to less surface area per unit of volume.
What Gives a Dome Eco House Its Superior Strength?
The geodesic-engineered eco house is formed by interconnected triangles that allow it to remain rigid and stable when exposed to nature’s extremes. The principles of geometry used in dome construction guarantees its inherent ability to withstand the extreme forces of nature, such as high winds, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes – an insurance policy in itself!
A Prefab Eco House Kit Saves on Construction Costs
The good news is that investing in a dome home kit need not break the bank. Prefab eco home dome kits offer green-building options that conventional building methods and materials simply can’t compete with.
If you’re looking for an affordable pricing edge, you’ll be pleased to learn about some of these cost saving features:
- A dome encloses the largest volume of interior space with the least amount of surface area – saving on materials and labor cost.
- When a dome’s diameter is doubled, it quadruples its square footage and produces eight times its volume.
- A portable prefab dome is considered a temporary shelter – it can be easily taken down when no longer needed. This means that, in certain areas, you might be able to entirely bypass the cost of building permits.